We're very excited to introduce our new Nurse Practitioner Del, to BMC Medical Centre!
Del is a qualified and experienced Nurse Practitioner who has worked in various health care settings. Del is passionate about providing quality and compassionate care to our patients and supporting our doctors and nurses in their daily tasks. Del is also friendly and approachable, and always ready to greet you with a smile.
What is a Nurse Practitioner?
A nurse practitioner (NP) is a registered nurse who has completed additional education and training to provide advanced nursing care. NPs can work independently or with a doctor, depending on the setting and the regulations. NPs can perform tasks such as assessing and diagnosing health problems, ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, prescribing medicines, referring patients to other health professionals, and admitting them to hospitals.
NPs have been working in Australia since 2000, mainly in emergency care. As of 2019, there were more than 1,400 NPs in Australia. However, unlike in some other countries, Australian NPs are required to collaborate with a doctor in their practice.
NPs have an expanded scope of practice that allows them to perform tasks that are usually done by doctors or specialists. Some of the tasks that NPs can do include
• Conduct comprehensive health assessments and examinations
• Order and interpret diagnostic tests, such as blood tests, x-rays, ultrasounds, and ECGs
• Prescribe medications and access the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
• Refer patients to hospitals and specialists
• Admit and discharge patients from hospitals
• Perform minor procedures and suturing
• Provide immunisations and vaccinations
• Provide health education and counselling
• Conduct research and quality improvement projects
Please join us in welcoming Del to our practice, and feel free to say hello to him when you visit us.